Get the Facts on the Kansas Universal Service Fund
The KUSF also supports the following:
- The Kansas Universal Service Fund (KUSF) was created by the enactment of House Bill 2728 (Telecommunications Act) by the 1996 Kansas Legislature.
- The purpose of the KUSF is to assure quality services be made available to all Kansans.
- All telecommunications companies must contribute (to the KUSF) a percentage of all intrastate (within Kansas) retail revenues. The company is authorized to pass on its assessment to the consumer.
- KUSF support is distributed back to the local telephone companies and designated eligible telecommunication carriers to offset the costs of providing service.
Other Important Facts
- Lifeline - assistance to the disadvantaged (matched by federal universal funds)
- Kansas Relay Services, Inc. - hearing impaired relay center service
- Telecommunications Access Program - to provide terminal equipment for disabled individuals
- Support network enhancements and upgrades in rural areas
- The Fund Administrator is GVNW Consulting, Inc. which was selected by a competitive bid process.
- The Kansas Corporation Commission is currently in the process of auditing local telephone companies to determine if the amount of the fund should be lowered or raised.
View/print a pdf version of this information