Well Inventory Certification Effective January 2012
Operator Well Inventory
Submission of Operator Well Inventories began in 2010. Each operator is required to perform a one-time submission of a complete list of all unplugged wells operated in Kansas, submitted at the time of their license renewal. The purpose of the well inventory is to populate the KCC database with well information that is complete, correct, and current. The KCC is authorized and directed to collect this data by K.S.A. 55-165.
After an operator's well inventory form is accepted, the KCC verifies the data with existing database records. With the help of the operator, all discrepancies and deficiencies are addressed before the submitted well inventory is approved by the KCC. After approval of the initial Operator Well Inventory Form OWI-1, operators are required to annually certify their well inventory in conjunction with their yearly license renewal.
Well Inventory Certification
Note: The process below is to be followed by operators who have not signed up for KOLAR. All KOLAR operators must certify their well inventory electronically through KOLAR.
The Well Inventory Certification is required in conjunction with yearly license renewals in order to maintain accuracy of each operator's well inventory. Operators are provided with a list of all unplugged wells with the license renewal packet. The enclosed list of wells should accurately reflect the operator's complete, current well inventory. Instructions on completing the Well Inventory Certification form:
- Carefully review the enclosed well inventory, checking for incompleteness or inaccuracies.
- If the provided well inventory is complete, accurate, and reflects your current well inventory, check the first box, sign, and date. The form must be signed and dated by an officer or an authorized agent for the licensed operator.
- If the well inventory is incomplete or inaccurate, the operator must provide an updated well inventory on the form provided by the KCC, as well as any necessary forms. The following are examples of problems/resolutions
encountered during reviews of well inventories:
- Problem: The provided well inventory is missing wells. Resolution: The operator must submit a fully-executed Request for Change of Operator Form T-1 for each lease, transferring the missing wells to your license number. The operator must also submit an updated OWI-1 form, listing the missing wells, and submit the required T-1.
- Problem: The provided well inventory lists wells that you no longer operate. Resolution: As the current operator of record, you must submit a fully-executed Request for Change of Operator Form T-1, transferring the wells from your license to another licensed operator. Return the provided well list with the wells crossed out, notate that the wells have been transferred, and submit the required T-1.
- Problem: The status of a well has changed from what is listed on the provided well inventory. Resolution: Return the provided well list with the correct well status marked.
- Problem: The provided well inventory lists wells that are plugged. Resolution: The operator must submit an Operator Plugging Record Form CP-4, for each well that was plugged. Return the provided well list with the plugged wells crossed out, notate that the wells have been plugged, and submit the required CP-4.
- Problem: The well footages are different on the provided well inventory. Resolution: Some footages were calculated from GPS coordinates taken by KCC district staff and may be slightly different from previous records. If you believe the KCC lists incorrect footages on a well, please verify the well's location and send an updated page of the OWI-1, listing the confirmed spot location and well footages.
- Once you have completed all necessary forms to update KCC records, check the second box, certifying that the provided well inventory is incomplete or inaccurate and that all necessary forms to resolve the issue(s) have been enclosed. The form must be signed by an officer or an authorized agent for the licensed operator.
- Enclose the Well Inventory Certification and any necessary forms along with the license renewal and return them to the KCC Conservation Division before the license expiration date.